Special Education

"If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn." - Ignacio Estrada

Cullman County Special Education department is made up of many different people that work to facilitate the referral, testing, and IEP processes.  When a parent or school refers a student for special education testing a referral for evaluation is opened and completed for the student. If the student is accepted for evaluation then the special education testing process begins.  After testing is completed then data is compiled and eligibility for special education services is determined based on Alabama Administrative Code guidelines. If the student is found eligible for one of the 13 disability areas, then an Individuated Education Program (IEP) is developed by the student’s special education teacher to address the student’s specific needs.  The staff of the special education department helps facilitate this entire process. Our goal is to identify, serve, and support our students so that the can go on and be successful independent citizens of our community!

For any questions or issues with Special Education, 504 Services, or Homebound contact Tiffanye Mitchell at 256-739-0486.
Special Ed Department Logo

Notice of Non-discrimination

The Cullman County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:

April Tucker (Title IX Coordinator)

PO Box 1590

Cullman, AL 35056


Tiffanye Mitchell (504 Coordinator)

17600 US Hwy 31 N

Cullman, AL 35058



The Cullman County Board of Education is committed to ensuring all information placed on its website is accessible to individuals with disabilities in compliance with requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Title II). If you have a disability and need assistance accessing website content or if you would like to report inaccessible content, please contact the webmaster at its@ccboe.org. For information about how to file a complaint under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II, please see CCBOE’s grievance procedure here

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.